2 special forces members under investigation for allegedly taking part in convoy protest

0

Two members of the military’s elite special forces unit are under investigation for their alleged involvement in the convoy protest in Ottawa, according to a statement from the Department of National Defence.

Maj.-Gen Steve Boivin, commander of the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command, said the first case came to the attention of senior leaders on Feb. 1, and the other on Feb. 10.

Both members were already in the process of being released from the Canadian Armed Forces and were supporting the protest “in some form or another,”  he said.

“The Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) does not condone its members supporting and/or actively taking part in causes that jeopardize the apolitical imperative associated with their functions. I expect our members to act in ways that demonstrate Canadian Armed Forces values and ethics, and to uphold them both on and off duty,” Boivin said in a statement.

“If the allegations are accurate, this is wrong and it goes against CAF values and ethics.”

Boivins said he’s aware of a third member supporting the protest who is not CANSOFCOM member and has notified their leadership.

Late last week, the Canadian Armed Forces confirmed it was investigating an officer in New Brunswick after he called for other military members and police to rise up over vaccination and pandemic restrictions.

Maj. Stephen Chledowski spoke in uniform in a seven-minute video Thursday, describing government actions during the pandemic as tyranny. He went on to describe vaccination for COVID-19 as “genocide.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.